As a child my world grew leaps and bounds as I immersed myself into books. I hid myself in pages of orphaned girls, mysteries of years ago, animals and animation of all kinds. As a child I would write puppet shows and perform them for younger friends. As a young aunt I would make up stories for my nieces and nephews. As a first year teacher I wrote my first children's book. My dream....to see my words published and beautifully illustrated one day, Lord willing. For now, I will self-publish the stories that I write for my own precious four children as I do what I can to help their imaginations soar through a world of wonderful words.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Time for T

One of my writing assignments was a non-fictional piece.  Here's what I wrote.  Even thought it was written for older elementary / pre-teen age group I think it applies to all.  I know it does for me as I spend WAY to much time on the computer.  Several months ago I had to take a break from facebook when my daughter came home from school and her first words to me were, "you're always on facebook."  Maybe I should take another sabbatical :D !


Time for T
Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise.” Ephesians 5:15-16 NIV
What are some of your most favorite things to do? Type on the computer? Talk on the phone? Text? Think about what you do everyday and write down three of your most favorite:
  1. ______________________________________
  1. ______________________________________
  1. ______________________________________
If I asked you what being a good steward is could you tell me?  Would you say that it is being responsible with money or things?  Well, you would be right.  But, do you know that you can be a good steward of your time as well. Yep, you sure can!  Time is something that God gave you.  Ephesians 5:15 tells us to “be careful, then, how we live—not as unwise but as wise.”  You are wise when you are careful with your time.  
Janie came home from school.  She was tired! Her teachers had made her work hard and she had a lot of homework.  She threw her heavy book bag on the floor, grabbed a bag of chips, fell onto the overstuffed couch and turned the TV on.  That’s where she sat until it was time for dinner, time for a shower and then time for bed.  Oh no! What about the homework? 
Sam came home from school.  He was tired! His teachers had made him work hard and he had a lot of homework.  He took his book bag to his room, took a 20 minute nap, got up and ate an apple and then went outside to toss a football with his friends.  After dinner he did his homework, took a shower and went to bed. 
Who are you more like? Janie or Sam. Like the rest of us you probably fall somewhere in the middle.  Is it wrong to eat chips and watch tv? No.  Is it always possible to take a nap, eat healthy and get exercise? Nope - probably not.  It all goes back to the amount of a healthy or non-healthy stewardship of our time.
How can you be a good steward with your time?  How can you be careful how you live? Here are a few examples:
  • Don’t hit the snooze button on the alarm – get up instead and spend those extra 5-10 minutes with God.  
  • Spend less time in front of the TV and more time with family and friends.   
  • Limit your time on the computer.  There’s a lot of junk out there that is unwise.
Write down three of your own ideas here:
  1. ____________________________________________
  1. ____________________________________________
  1. ____________________________________________

Take some time for t today: time to be thankful, time to train yourself to be careful and wise and time to take time to be with the One who gave you your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment