As a child my world grew leaps and bounds as I immersed myself into books. I hid myself in pages of orphaned girls, mysteries of years ago, animals and animation of all kinds. As a child I would write puppet shows and perform them for younger friends. As a young aunt I would make up stories for my nieces and nephews. As a first year teacher I wrote my first children's book. My dream....to see my words published and beautifully illustrated one day, Lord willing. For now, I will self-publish the stories that I write for my own precious four children as I do what I can to help their imaginations soar through a world of wonderful words.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Luscious Limeade - Is Your Tongue Dry?



The weather is finally feeling like Spring!  With the transition to warmer weather I got to thinking about all the great limeade that we made and drank when we lived in Mexico.   Here is another article that I had to write for my writing course - inspired of course from hot-Mexican days!





IS YOUR TONGUE DRY?

            What do you like to drink when your tongue gets so dry that it sticks to the top of your mouth just as if you’ve eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread?  A tall glass of milk?  A cold juice box straight from the fridge?  A glass of ice water so cold it makes your hand numb when you hold it?   What about some limeade?
Limeade is just like lemonade only it is made with small green limes rather than lemons. Limes grow on small bushy trees in the most southern parts of the United States, Mexico, Central America, and South America. Limes can’t grow where it gets cold.  They need lots of sunshine and warm weather.  When the weather gets too cold it kills the lime trees.
            A key lime is the smallest type of lime in the lime family, about the size of a ping-pong ball.  Both the skin and the flesh are greenish-yellow in color, and it is very juicy.  Perfect for making juice!   Key limes not only make great juice, but they are also very good for your body?  They are packed full of vitamin c, like lemons and oranges, which helps your body fight off colds and other germs.  Do you like being sick?  I didn’t think so.  So, make sure that you drink lots of limeade and keep your body full of vitamin c!
            Why don’t you ask your dad or mom if you can make fresh squeezed limeade?  It may be easier and cheaper to buy a premix package and just mix it with water and sugar, but it’s more fun to make it fresh!  And, because you get greater amounts of vitamins and nutrients from eating or drinking fresh fruits it is the healthy thing to do.   Here is a great recipe to help your body fight germs and keep your tongue wet!

LUCIOUS LIMEADE
You will need:
  • 11/2 cups of juice from key limes
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 gallon of water or 16 cups
  • Hand held Lime juicer/ Citrus juicer
  • Sharp knife
  • 1 gallon pitcher
What to do:
1.  Wash the limes and ask an adult to help you cut each one in half.
2.  Juice all your limes into a measuring cup.
3.  Mix your sugar with 1 cup of boiling water until it is dissolved. 
4.  Add lime juice and sugar mixture in a gallon pitcher.
5.  Add the remaining 15 cups of cold water to the top and stir.
6.  Pour over ice into a glass and drink up!

Now, imagine yourself on a hot summer day.  Is your tongue dry?  Pour yourself a cool, cold-fighting glass of limeade and enjoy! Ahhh…!

No comments:

Post a Comment