As a child my world grew leaps and bounds as I immersed myself into books. I hid myself in pages of orphaned girls, mysteries of years ago, animals and animation of all kinds. As a child I would write puppet shows and perform them for younger friends. As a young aunt I would make up stories for my nieces and nephews. As a first year teacher I wrote my first children's book. My dream....to see my words published and beautifully illustrated one day, Lord willing. For now, I will self-publish the stories that I write for my own precious four children as I do what I can to help their imaginations soar through a world of wonderful words.

Thursday, March 11, 2010

If I Were a Lost Crayon

This is my latest work.  The other day Evan was searching for his crayon and kept repeating over and over what is now the title, "If I were a lost crayon where would I be?"  With a smile on my face I watched him hunt all over.  Then I picked up my computer and began to write.  Enjoy the following inspired by my 6 year old little man.


If I Were a Lost Crayon

   Baxter Beaver wanted to color his friend Toby Toad a picture.  He wanted to color himself and his best friend playing in his backyard by the big tree. First he got paper from his paper drawer.  Then he got his color box off the shelf.  
“I’m missing the green crayon.  How can I color grass and a tree without the green? How can I color Toby Toad without the green? 
Baxter Beaver looked all through the color box.  It wasn’t there.  He looked on the high and low shelves.  It wasn’t there either. He looked in all the craft drawers.  He could not find his green crayon. He thought and he thought and he thought.  
“If I were a lost crayon where would I be?  Would I be under a bed?”
Baxter Beaver looked under his bed.  The crayon wasn’t there.  He looked under his brother’s bed.  It wasn’t there either.  He looked under his mom and dad’s bed.  He could not find his green crayon.
“If I were a lost crayon where would I be?  Would I be in the living room?”
Baxter Beaver went in the living room and looked under the sofa.  It wasn’t there. He looked under the TV. It wasn’t there either.  He looked under every chair and table.  He could not find his green crayon.
“If I were a lost crayon where would I be? Would I be in a bathroom?
Baxter Beaver went into the bathroom and looked in the tub it wasn’t there. He looked behind the toilet. It wasn’t there either. He looked under and all around the sink.  He could not find his green crayon.
“If I were a lost crayon where would I be? Would I be in the kitchen?”
Baxter Beaver went into the kitchen and looked in the refrigerator. It wasn’t there.  He looked in all the cabinets.  It wasn’t there either.  He looked in the stove, the microwave and the dishwasher. He could not find his green crayon.
Baxter Beaver sat down at the table to think.  He was tired and he was sad.  Where could his green crayon be?  While he was thinking of another place to look, he heard a knock at the door.  
“Baxter! Are ya home?”  
It was Toby Toad! He had spent all morning just looking for his green crayon.  Now Toby Toad was here and there was no time to color a picture.  And, he STILL didn’t have the green crayon.
“Hi Toby.” Baxter Beaver said sadly as his friend walked through the door and sat his backpack down. 
“Baxter.  What’s wrong?”
“I’m sad because I wanted to draw a picture of you and me together but I can’t find my green crayon. I have looked all morning.  I have looked under beds, under the sofa, the TV, tables and chairs. I have looked in the bathroom. In the tub, toilet and sink. I even looked here in the kitchen. The refrigerator, the stove, the microwave and the dishwasher! I can’t think of anywhere else to look.” Baxter Beaver sighed big and dropped his head low. 
Toby Toad’s large mouth was one big grin.  It had grown bigger and bigger with every place that Baxter Beaver had told him he looked. 
“Toby! Why are you smiling?” Baxter Beaver said as he raised his head and saw his silent friend’s smile. 
“Baxter.  Did you think to look in my backpack?” Toby Toad said slowly.
“Your backpack?  Your backpack wasn’t here!  How was I suppose to look there and why would I look there?” Baxter was really getting irritated at his friend.  Toby Toad just starred at him with that large silly grin on his face and a twinkle in his eyes.  Toby Toad motioned toward his backpack that sat by the door. That’s when Baxter Beaver remembered and he started laughing and laughing.
“I totally forgot that I loaned you my crayon yesterday!” 
Toby Toad knelt in front of his backpack and unzipped it.  He pulled out the crayon and gave it to his friend.  Then he pulled out a piece of paper.  It was a picture of  Toby Toad and Baxter Beaver playing together by a big green tree.
Baxter Beaver took the drawing and put it on the table.  Toby Toad could see him adding something to the picture.  When he was finished Baxter Beaver held the paper up for Toby Toad to see.  He had drawn a green crayon in his friend’s hand.
“If I were a green crayon where would I be? I would be in the hand of my best friend next to a big green tree!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment